Friday, October 10, 2008

It's an Antique!!!










We got an antique piano (its over 100 years old) from one of our neighbors who was moving. It took many a tough boys and alot of sweat and pain, but it is officially in our dining
 room now. It had been sitting in the neighbors garage for about 16 years, and hasn't been played for much longer than that. The dust bunnies were thick and the work has seemed endless...and most likely I haven't even touched the surface, but....I worked tirelessly and cleaned the dirt and grime from it only to find that it had been partially sanded and prepared for refinishing. That was alot more than I wanted to take on at the moment so...I continued to clean and then I stained it and made it look a little better than it did when we got it. Some of the strings (wires?) are broken so the keys don't play, some of the ivory is off of the keys and it needs some tuning, but after that has all been repaired, I think we will have a really nice, useable, antique that we can love forever and pass down to our children...most likely Halle since she is the only one in the family that plays. I am really excited to have another antique to add to my collection, however a small collection that it might be, if you know me very well, you know that I love and adore antiques and antique shopping~anyway that is another story all by itself. Halle is super excited to have a real piano to play on (someday in the future as it still has to be fixed) since she has been faithfully practicing and playing on an electric keyboard. She is excited to learn how to use the floor pedals and have a longer set of keys to play. I can't wait to have it tuned and listen to her play her heart out! The first 4 photos are the completed project and the last 3 photos are of when I was staining it, because I forgot to get an actual picture of what it looked like when we brought it into the house...so you just get to see the "work in progress" pictures. 

1 comments:

suelyn w said...

The paino looks beautiful, I can't believe the difference a little tlc will do! Now get that thing fixed so Halle can really start to play!