Monday, October 13, 2008

Martha Stewart Wanna Be



 I found this recipe for Apple Fritters and then I put my own twists and changes to it! I made them up and tested them on my unsuspecting family for dessert tonight after they ate dinner... and everyone loved them. So I am renaming them~ 


"Apple Hush Puppies"

2 c. Flour
2/3 c. sugar
2 t. salt
1 t. Cinnamon 
1 T baking powder
2/3 c. milk
2 eggs
2 1/2 c. finely chopped apples, with or without peelings-your preference

For Glaze: 1 c powder sugar, milk


Sift together the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add the milk and egg, then beat it until its smooth. Fold in the chopped apples. Drop by teaspoon (just a teaspoon) into hot oil, about 1-2 inches deep. You don't want the oil too hot or it will cook the outside well before the inside of the hush puppy. Cook until nicely browned. Make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar with just enough milk to make the glaze runny. Serve warm with glaze or with maple syrup. 
*I had to keep watch on them and turn them several times so that they wouldn't burn. Also it helps to have a fork handy to sort of push the puffy insides down so they will cook. Let me know what you think if you try them out. Happy eating!!

2 comments:

Jack and Daynalee said...

Oh my gosh those look SO good. I am so incredibly jealous I can't even begin to say. My mouth started watering when I saw these pictures. Jack had to chant "they don't even look good" so I wouldn't drive to the nearest bakery. Then I went running...

suelyn w said...

You're as close to Martha as they come! These look amazing, I'm going to try making them, or better you could just show up on my doorstep with a plate!