Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An Autumn "BReeZe"

 Autumn has hit our yard like a bulldozer, wrecking havoc all over. We have several trees in our yard, ranging from fruit trees to a red maple. We also have a giant size cottonwood tree in our back yard, which I love in the summer for its sweet shade, but not so much in the Fall for it abundance of leaves. At this point in the year it has dropped most of its leaves on the back yard and they have been waiting patiently for someone to rake them up. I have been ignoring them for quite some time, but after having to clean them up off of the floors in my house (because they get tracked in by everyone), I decided that today I would venture out and put them in bags...how hard could it be? I do it every single year. BUT...this year was different~ as I left the comfort of my warm house and went to the shed for the leaf rake I felt a slight breeze..."its just a breeze" I told myself, "I can still rake with a little breeze in the air." That was my first mistake. I raked up a giant pile of leaves in not too many swipes with the rake. "This was going to move along quite quickly" I decided. I put the leaf sacks in the garbage can so I could load up the leaves AND...a large gust of wind came whipping around and blew the leaves all around the yard. Yep I was not very happy, but I raked them up and then along it came AGAIN! It seemed the more that I raked, the harder the wind blew, over and over this happened. I had to bag them almost as quickly as I raked them. It was so frustrating. I actually bagged about 15 sacks full (a very small amount for my yard) before I just gave up and let them blow. Needless to say, my job was left VERY UN-finished and I probably won't get back to raking until early next week. I guess that I will continue to clean up the rotten leaves on my floor until then. Hopefully when I can get back to raking, the wind will cooperate a little bit more. I hope you have better luck in your "leaf raking adventures". Happy Raking!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

doesn't sound like it was toooo fun.... todd and i have only raked up the leaves that went into our pumpkin & spider bags... lol since then we've just let them blow too.

Unknown said...

The job’s never done is it? LoL