The last year of elementary is a bitter sweet one for both mom and kids. This was not only Halle's last year of elementary, but ours as parents too. Halle being the youngest means we are completely done with elementary, no more recesses, no more school programs, no more class parties, no more simple life for Halle...which means our "baby" is growing up! Its crazy how fast the time flies when you have kids. The 6th graders always go on a big Lagoon trip at the
e
nd of the year to celebrate their "Graduation from Elementary". I have been able to go with my 3 younger kids and its been so much fun. Its fun to just spend some one on one time with them and some of their friends, eat lunch at Lagoon and go on the rides
the rides without getting too sick. We zoomed home and then quickly headed out of town as to not be late. I don't do Salt Lake driving at all!! I hate it, to say the least and don't know my way around...BUT, I can get to Lagoon, the airport and the Zoo...so I was sure that we would be okay. We arrived in Salt Lake when my cell phone rang. It was Halle wondering where we were and told me they were in MORGAN CANYON! I told her that we were in Salt Lake and would for sure beat them to Lagoon..the whole time wondering why in the world they would go that direction! Little did I know or realize that a rather large section of the freeway is closed up by North Salt Lake and they send you on a DETOUR (a dreaded, and much feared word when you have NO IDEA how to get from point A to point B by the way of point D...I much prefer getting from point A to point B, in that order!) which we reluctantly took. All of us driving in our cars seemed to look a little lost and confused, maybe even a little panicked... me especially...but my car companion and I decided that we were just going to "follow the crowd" and hoped that they would lead us in the right direction...surely the rest of the people on the detour had to get back onto I-15 at some point too. So off we drove, going on roads that I had never been on before, looking at scenery that was very unfamiliar...feeling a little lost and wondering where "the crowd" would take us, when we came upon a fork in the road. I didn't know what crowd to follow. Do we go left or do we go right? I ended up following a cement truck that looked like he knew his business. Luckily he took us right onto the freeway and we were back on track. We arrived at Lagoon only minutes before the bus. It was looking like it was going to be a super busy day as we watched bus after bus unload student after student. It was like watching ants that just kept coming and coming. I expected long lines and alot of waiting...but much to my surprise there were hardly any lines. The kids were able to get on a ride, then get off and get right back in line and
go again without any wait. Halle had a blast. I hadn't seen her laugh or smile so much in a long time. She just glowed and had the best time ever. 

nd of the year to celebrate their "Graduation from Elementary". I have been able to go with my 3 younger kids and its been so much fun. Its fun to just spend some one on one time with them and some of their friends, eat lunch at Lagoon and go on the rides with them. This past Thursday, the day
before school got out, was Halle's big field trip. She had been waiting all year for this day and so when her alarm rang at 5:00 am she jumped right up and started getting ready. We had to be at the school bright and early (6:45 am), load the kids onto the buses (I drove...don't do too well on the buses) and be out of town by 7:00, headed for Lagoon. We got out the door on time and got to the school just as I remembered that I forgot my Meclazine (motion sickness meds). One of Halle's friends mom was riding
out with me, so when
she got to the school we went back to get my medicine so that I could handle
Her and Jessica (her friend that she was with) went on some of the rides over and over and over again, laughing and giggling and having so much fun. It was neat to watch as she stretched her wings a little and showed her independence.
She chose where she wanted to get her lunch, which she chose Subway. She and Jessica decided what rides they wanted to go on and which ones they didn't. They loved the Swings, the Bat, the Tidal Wave, Rattlesnake Rapids and the Scrambler. After a long, hot, super fun day...we headed home. This time Halle and Jessica got to ride with us.
We headed home the same we came, detour and all, getting home at just a little after 6pm. Even though we had to deal with the traffic, the detour and a few beads of sweat, I was glad that I drove. Halle told me that when she went to school the next day, she found out that the bus had broke down and they didn't
get home until around 9:00 pm! That makes for a LONG day on a bus with a bunch of sweaty, hungry, sleep deprived kids! It was a fun trip and I am glad that I got to go. I will miss some things about having a child in Elementary School, but there is alot that I won't miss too. I guess I will just look forward to the next 6 years watching Halle develop and become a young lady...a Teenager and then a grown up. It happens right before your eyes and long before you expect it!





3 comments:
WOW!! Can't believe she was the little 4 year old flower girl in my wedding-time flies-she is turning into such a beautiful, mature girl!! Her dance pics are cute too!!
Cute! Looks like you all had so much fun!
LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF FUN!!! i'm jealous!
Post a Comment