Sunday, June 28, 2009

A little work, but well worth it!


One of my families favorite meals is, Navajo Taco's. I don't make them very often because I don't particularly like to make the scones...(mainly, I just don't like to smell like a short order cook...BUT alas~ the things that we will do for the ones that we love!) I found a new scone recipe that tastes very similar to the scones covered in honey butter that I relish (so messy and delicious) when I go to some of those little "Mom and Pop Cafes". These Scones are really good and taste even better with the homemade Honey Butter that I made to go with them.


Scones

1 qt. buttermilk
2 T. yeast dissolved in 1/2 c. luke warm water
3 T. sugar
2 beaten eggs
6 T oil (I used canola)
1 1/2 t. salt
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
10 2/3 c. flour

Mix all together in a large bowl. Knead thoroughly. No need to let it rise. Form scones and fry in a pan with HOT oil. Serve with Navajo Taco meat or with Honey Butter (recipe below).

Honey Butter

1 lb. butter (no substitutes)
1/2- 3/4 c. honey (depends on the consistency you want your honey butter to be)

Let butter sit out and get to room temperature, but not melted. Combine the butter and the honey and whip with a mixer until fully blended together. Serve. Enjoy...but store the leftovers in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

Christie said...

My family loves navajo taco's as well, and I have always made the scone dough from scratch. Last year for Christmas I recieved a big bag of Honeyville Farms scone mix, all you add is water and yeast and they taste sooooooooooo good, I think better than the homeade ones I have slaved away making!

24/7 Dance Company said...

I LOVE HONEY BUTTER!!!! the scones look delicious!!