Sunday, April 25, 2010

Home Tweet Home~

Meet "Gary" (Deron affectionately named him). He's decided that he wants to take up residence in the tree right outside our front door. He's been feverishly building a nest day in and day out, for his mate "Gloria" (she is camera shy). As of 2 days ago he has officially completed it. I have never watched a bird actually build a nest, its quite interesting how they know just the right place to put their "stuff" then they lay down in it and wiggle around, making everything tight and just right to fit their feathered bodies.

 Gary knows what he's doing I guess...because the nest looks pretty tight and sturdy...it would have to be with all the wind that we get here. I wondered what would happen if some unwanted guests tried to move in while Gary was away gathering supplies for his humble abode...come to find out, he doesn't tolerate unwanted guests at all. He came back after hunting for strings and twigs to find 2 unwanted feathered friends lurking around his nest. They had flown into his tree, I think just to have a rest but he got quite mean as he chased them away...pecking and squawking (I'm sure he was telling them off in "bird language")...and I haven't seen them come back, guess his gruff words worked.  I have yet to see Gloria actually move in to their newly completed home...she has hung around the nest off and on, but I haven't seen her actually settle in ( I am sure she is off shopping for decor...you know, to personalize her "Home Tweet Home"). I am sort of excited to watch as these 2 little "love birds" have eggs and chicks...and then get to watch the process of the babies leaving the nest.

 I know...I'm sounding like an old lady, but in all reality, it's not very often that anyone gets to witness this whole process right next to their front window. I've always liked birds, they are calming and relaxing to watch. I love to hear them chirp and sing every morning. Birds just remind me of so many happy things to do with the spring and summer seasons. So call me old, if you must, but I am going to enjoy every day I get to watch my new little friends...Gary and Gloria, raise their little family and who knows...maybe I will even learn something!

....stay tuned for more-
 "Adventures of Gary and Gloria".....

1 comments:

Lisa said...

Tell Gary and Gloria congrats from the Allreds...lol! That is so fun, let me know if they have babies the kids would love to see them.