Monday, June 28, 2010

Hug your KiDs!!!!!..because you just never know what tomorrow will bring!


**Warning: Proceed with caution! 
Some pictures may be disturbing. 
If you have a weak stomach you may want to avoid this post***

Cameron has always been a happy, go lucky kind of kid....thats just one of the things that I love about him. From the time he was just little he loved to follow grown ups around, helping, asking questions and visit with them. He has always loved to spend time with his grandpa's, his uncles, cousins and his dad, along with his brothers and sisters.  He has always loved to go up with Grandpa Wilkerson and work on the farm hauling hay, fixing fence, changing water and feeding the horses. He loves to go to Lake Powell with Grandpa Weight and his uncles or fixing up the cabin, working or playing...he just loves being with them. He's just the kind of person that likes to spend time with people doing whatever, and helping them out...it makes him happy.

Last week Cameron went with one of his friends to help him move his sprinkler lines...most of us would dread that, but not Cameron, he thought it sounded like great fun. He had called and asked if he could go and that they had to go up in a field that was a ways away from town. I told him that it would be fine and to be home by 10:00. I wasn't feeling well that night so I was getting ready to hit the sack and Deron was going to wait up for him. Just a little after 9pm I got a call from a very frantic Cameron saying that he needed me to come and get him. He had been in a motorcycle accident and had cut his leg up pretty bad. It was bleeding and he couldn't get it to stop. He couldn't walk on it and didn't know if it was broken. Fear ran through my mind and all I could think about was getting up to Cam's friends house and seeing if he was all right. His friend lives several miles out of town and driving there seemed to take forever. When we pulled up in the driveway, Christie, Cameron's friends mom...was out by the truck taking care of him and talking to him...just being there for him. I was so glad that she was there and keeping him calm and making sure he was okay. (Thanks Christie, that meant so much to know you were there and that he was taken care of...I appreciate you more than you could ever realize!!!) Cameron was going into shock and his cut was bleeding pretty bad. It was dark and we couldn't tell exactly how deep the cut was or just how severe it might be. We knew it was really bad and we were worried that it might possibly have broken the bone and what it might have cut through.

We called the ambulance and met them in town and then followed them the 30 minutes it took to get to the hospital. We knew they were better equipped to handle what was going on with Cameron than we were at the time. Driving the 30 miles seemed like 300 miles...

To make a long story "shorter"...Cameron broke NO bones and missed the tendons in his foot. His cut was about 6-7" long and cut clear to the bone. He got 30+ stitches through several layers of muscle and skin.

The doctors main concern was infection. He said because it was so very deep that the risk of infection was really high...he told us what to watch for and to come back over immediately if we noticed anything. WELL...the way our lives are going lately....he got infection....just as the Doctor suspected he would. We took him back over Sunday afternoon after he was fevering, his leg was swelling really bad, the wound was draining smelly gross stuff and his leg had red streaks up and down it...typical signs of infection. The doctor took one look at Cameron and started him on IV antibiotics. We will have to go to the hospital for the next 7 days for IV therapy. IF his leg is not looking better by Tuesday then surgery will be the next step....we are just praying that this clears it up because we are tired of all this crazy stress in our lives...haven't we had enough already?!!!

There are days that I want to just stick my head in the sand and forget about everything that is going on, everything from today, yesterday and from practically the entire year. There are nights that my mind wanders and I think of all the stressful things happening and my mind just won't shut off... making it impossible to sleep....which then stresses me (one of those endless cycles you know). There have been times during this year that I wonder what it is that I am supposed to be learning through all of this adversity that seems to be plaguing my life...whatever it is, I must not be a very quick learner because it almost feels like I'm caught in a tornado and things keep hitting me from every side....and for some reason, I just can't get out of it. But on the flip side, we are so grateful that Cam's accident wasn't any worse than it was...because heaven knows that it could have been, especially where he didn't have on a helmet and then just the simple fact that he is a teenage boy that thinks he is invincible, as all teenage boys do. I am so grateful that he is all in one piece and that he will eventually recover from this ordeal. I love my Cam and just feel so blessed that he is my son and going to be okay!!!! Life is so short...so unpredictable and defiantly a test. I feel blessed to be able to watch my children fall asleep once again, as the day comes to a close...to know they are safe and sound and under my roof. I feel so blessed that Cameron is alive and is still his smiley, happy and thoughtful self. I don't know what I would do without him!!!! I can't let myself think about all the "what if's" the "could have beens" and the "might haves" because then I just lose it and cry uncontrolably...you know, the UGLY cry!...I have to focus on the "here and now's" and just be grateful....and I am Grateful...more than ever!

1 comments:

Christie said...

I too am sooo grateful that he wasn't hurt worse, although its bad enough!
Im sorry to hear about the infection, good thing you jumped right on it, that darn cow poop is just not very sanitary...

Hugs to you and Cam!