Saturday, September 25, 2010

My little Handy WoRk....

I love working with my hands. I love building things, sewing, crafting and cooking...but my true passion is carpentry. I wished that I knew ALOT about it and could do it on a huge scale. I wished that I had all the right tools, all the right wood, a huge shop to play in and the "know how" to do whatever I wanted...oh and a bottomless money pit to go along with all that! BUT since I am very limited in my know how, my funds, my space and my tools...I have to be creative sometimes, BUT thats NOT always a BAD thing!


I once made a kitchen island from an old bathroom vanity, some extra wood and hardware that I had laying around....I have cut the legs off of my bar stools to make them shorter and more functional...I have messed around with spray paint and anything that needs a little "updating"...and now I have made a coffee table out of an old drawer and some mismatched legs...oh the things I can do when those creative juices start running through my head (too bad I don't have a steady flow of them like some people do).

This is what it started out as...well after I glued in some 2x4's to give it more height and then glued the legs on...
the mismatched legs give it some character I think, and make a great conversation piece...bet no one else has one like it. 

This is what it looked like just before I started to paint it...the legs are all even, not a wobbly one there (now thats accomplishment). 


After the first coat of paint. It looks like its painted green, but it's really a shade of blue...sort of blueish green. 
Its called "Lady Bower Blue".

I am hoping to give my living room a little "update" with some new paint on the walls and a few of my "new"-old things...to give it, as well as myself, a much needed change...(I have a few other things on my "to do list" before I get around to doing any painting...but it will happen soon, I promise), and thats where my new little coffee table will reside, right in front of my love seat.
Just after I dry brushed it with black...which I LOVE!!!...Then I gave it 2 good coats of heavy gloss poly-urathine and now it shines like its brand new!


I am going to get some awesome handles or hardware of some sort to put on the sides right here and then it will be 100% finished. 

I am so excited about the way my table turned out!!!! I just keep staring at it and getting all kinds of new ideas of what I want to do next....just need some more "junk" to play with (I always say that beauty is all in the eye of the beholder).  

3 comments:

Sommer Time Farm said...

Awesome! I luv it-you're so creative!

Buell Fam said...

It's beautiful! Great job!

Melanie said...

That's beautiful! I love it! Great job!