We celebrate the "Easter Bunny" part of our Easter holiday on Saturday so that Sunday can be a time when we focus all of our attention on the Savoir and the real reason that we celebrate this beautiful holiday. We've done it that way since the kids were just little, its something that most of them have done their entire lives and its been wonderful!
As the kids have gotten older...the old fashioned "hunt of the Easter Eggs and baskets" has evolved into something a little more challenging. I use to hide their baskets under their beds, in a closet or under the table, therefore making it as easy as possible for them to find their treats. The eggs were hidden in the obvious spots around the living room or dining room...simple spots such as on top of the piano, on a chair, in a cup...you get the idea! This year I decided to really make them HUNT for the "goods", after all they are OLDER NOW! I made a scavenger hunt...one for each child....but NOT just ANY scavenger hunt. They had to find the eggs that had their specific clues in them, each child having their OWN HUNT...and eventually leading them to find their much desired prize....THE EASTER BASKET full of goodies! The kids got up after much prodding from me (yes, I get a little excited about these things) and gathered their shoes and jackets, since it was feeling more like October than April...and set off with their first clue. From the looks on their faces, I am pretty sure they thought this "little scavenger hunt" was going to take 5 minutes and then they would be sitting upon their warm beds eating jelly beans and chocolate....ha ha ha ha, this Easter Bunny planned a GROWN UP EGG HUNT and had very VAGUE clues such as "Go to a scary place in the yard"....to some that might mean one place, to another- someplace else.
Kim and Halle were the first ones out in the yard looking around...they quickly discovered that this was no "Four year old's Egg HUNT"...it was going to take some thought and a lot of LOOKING, after all, the Easter Bunny hid the eggs extremely well this year!
The eggs were all color coordinated and numbered so that the kids knew which ones were theirs and didn't pick up anyone else's clues. Cameron came out about 20 minutes after the girls did. He too thought he was in for a quick chase around the yard and a bucket of treats...I GOT THE LAST laugh as he trotted around the yard looking for colored eggs that were hidden deep in bushes, in an old dryer and under wood chips.
Halle was starting to wonder if there REALLY were hidden eggs as she looked and looked and looked...EVERYWHERE except for where her eggs were nestled.
I had so much fun watching them hunt and hunt, wander and wonder and ask each other if they had seen any of their eggs. Kim and Halle were at it about 1 hour before they had gathered all their eggs and clues...and were eating chocolate eggs and sour jelly beans. Cameron was out looking for about 30 minutes...only because we got cold and tired of waiting for him as he stumbled to find his clues...so I helped him just "A BIT".

Eventually the "goods" were found and they all enjoyed a handful of candy (or two) before the "Easter Bunny" made breakfast. They are great sports and I'm so glad that they allow me to still have fun and do crazy things with them even though they are growing up. We all laughed and had a spectacular time as the kids tromped around the yard hunting for colored eggs on a cold and blustery day. I hope that its a day they will remember forever, I know I will!





0 comments:
Post a Comment