Thursday, May 3, 2012

My life in a nut shell.......

NOTE: This post contains blood...
if you're squimish, don't continue!

Being that my Blog is somewhat of a journal for me and will some day be bound into books, I
often write posts that are somewhat on the personal level and probably won't mean much to anyone reading them except for me and my little family...
so if  this is "TMI" (too much information) for 
you as the reader, I apologize, slightly... 

Several years ago I was diagnosed with a "Protein S Deficiency" which means that my blood clots when it SHOULDN'T. I've had several  TIA's (mini strokes) and other problems that brought the onset of a special blood test to diagnose this condition. I was put on Plavix which the doctors thought would take care of the problem. After a few years of being on Plavix...and continuing to have problems, I ended up with a blood clot in my leg. I was then put on anticoagulant's for the rest of my life, to keep my blood thin and keep it from clotting. I have to go and get my blood checked frequently to make sure it stays within the range (of thinness) that it should be. It's been hard to manage and tends to fluctuate very dramatically. Some weeks I go into have it tested and it will be just right, other times it will be  too thin or too thick...its just a guessing game. 

BUT when its thin, this is what I get.... 
I cut myself with a knife last week while slicing tomatoes...I applied pressure and a band-aid, and another band-aid...and another...and another and YES, even another...AFTER 7 HOURS and yet ANOTHER band-aid (almost 36 band-aids later),  my finger finally decided to stop bleeding. The cut wasn't deep but from the blood that kept dripping and dripping, you would have thought I had cut my finger off!

When I was first put on the meds, the Dr (a different one than I have now) told me that if I was in a car accident, chances were I would have internal bleeding and 3 minutes to live (let me tell you...it makes one want to wrap oneself in bubble wrap before going anywhere). Its nothing to mess with for sure! I error on the side of caution when driving, as the idea of getting in an accident is TERRIFYING to me!!! I am so grateful for my good doctor that watches my blood carefully and makes sure that its not TOO THIN, but also that its not TOO THICK either...(if its too thick I run the chance of having blood clots which can lead to strokes or other complications). I am certainly grateful to be born in a time when they have the knowledge and ability to take care of conditions like mine...meds and a good Doc have kept me safe and sound!
Guess maybe I better quite using knives...oh darn, that means someone
else will have to do the cooking...SHUCKS~!

2 comments:

Jen said...

My sister has this same condition. She was diagnosed with it after having several miscarriages. Her body thinks the pregnancies are clots and tries to get rid of them- does that make sense? She has to give herself blood thinners via shots into her stomach everyday of her pregnancies to carry her babies to term. Very scary....

Jamie said...

Oh my dear friend Julie, I had no idea that you had this going on with your health. I will be praying continually for you!! Love you.