A couple of weeks ago, this gentle giant of mine, asked if I would go for a ride with
him. I jumped at the chance to spend time with him since I never get to see
much of him...and off we went. Cam proceeded to tell me that he was
going to take me to my dad and brothers cabin...in the mountains. Although the snow
in town is gone, I realized that the snow most likely wouldn't be gone at the higher elevation.
Let me back up just a bit....
the cabin is not only in the mountains, but requires driving on a steep, very narrow and
most often terrifying road. For years, I have been told by MOST who have
experienced this road, that I (being terrified of heights + treacherous roads) wouldn't appreciate
the drive OR the thrill that some get from experiencing such roads! Needless to say, just the thought
of being on that road was giving me anxiety (at a VERY level)...
BUT I wanted to spend some time with Cameron so I decided to bite the bullet and "just do it".
We drove up the canyon and talked...deep conversation about many deep thoughts.
As we came close to where the road was going to turn up toward the "OTHER" road that would go TO the cabin, Cameron pointed up to a VERY steep mountain at a dug way that went along the edge of the mountain and told me that we would be driving on THAT....(WHAT????) I was sure
he was pulling my leg and was just trying to scare me....until he turned off the GOOD road and onto a very steep road (which at that point I realized he wasn't kidding). It was a dirt road that was made for oil trucks, so it was in good shape, but steep and scary none-the-less.
Cameron kept telling me that he would tell me when the "scary" part came so I could close my eyes....
we were driving along on what I felt was a scary road, when out of the blue he says..."Close your eyes, right now"....not wanting to see what lied ahead, I closed my eyes just as we started to slide and slip. Being in 4wheel drive, and STILL sliding all over was not a reassuring feeling. He tried to make it up the mountain,
but because it was STILL COVERED in snow and MUD we had to back back down the steep, slippery mess and get another run at it!! I WAS SHAKING terribly and as we finally reached a flatter area, Cam told me that I could open my eyes. Assuming the worst was over I belted out a sigh of relief and tried to
control my emotions (YES..I really WAS THAT scared)...just about the time I was
starting to calm down a bit, Cam said that I better close my eyes again...UHG here we go again!
This time he "gunned" it and I could tell there was NO making it up the hill, he backed down AGAIN and tried to get a better run at it, AGAIN, we had to back back down...BY NOW I had literally HAD ENOUGH, I was shaking so bad that even my voice was affected. I told Cam I was bailing out of the truck and would walk to the cabin regardless of how far it was...BUT I WOULD NOT take another run at that steep, slippery road!...so I opened the door and got out before he just drove up anyway. He proceeded to tell me that the cabin was still a long ways away, I assured him I was in for any distance of a walk before I
was mentally or emotionally drive up that awful road. SOOOOoo.....off we hiked.
Neither of us was dressed for a hike, let alone a HIKE in the snow and MUD...but we did it.

(PS...this was the better part of the snowy road...the part that was in the sun...the part of the road
that was in the shade still had FEET of snow. Some of which was almost to my knees)
We hiked for probably 2 miles...but we had a good time. It was nice to have heart to heart
conversation, something that wouldn't have happened had we DROVE to the cabin...so you could say,
our UPHILL, in the SNOW, BOTH WAYS, hike was well worth it!

Finally we reached the cabin, and it was a beautiful view...probably much better in the summer, but still a view that made you feel as though you could see the entire world from where we stood.
him. I jumped at the chance to spend time with him since I never get to see
much of him...and off we went. Cam proceeded to tell me that he was
going to take me to my dad and brothers cabin...in the mountains. Although the snow
in town is gone, I realized that the snow most likely wouldn't be gone at the higher elevation.
Let me back up just a bit....
the cabin is not only in the mountains, but requires driving on a steep, very narrow and
most often terrifying road. For years, I have been told by MOST who have
experienced this road, that I (being terrified of heights + treacherous roads) wouldn't appreciate
the drive OR the thrill that some get from experiencing such roads! Needless to say, just the thought
of being on that road was giving me anxiety (at a VERY level)...
BUT I wanted to spend some time with Cameron so I decided to bite the bullet and "just do it".
We drove up the canyon and talked...deep conversation about many deep thoughts.
As we came close to where the road was going to turn up toward the "OTHER" road that would go TO the cabin, Cameron pointed up to a VERY steep mountain at a dug way that went along the edge of the mountain and told me that we would be driving on THAT....(WHAT????) I was sure
he was pulling my leg and was just trying to scare me....until he turned off the GOOD road and onto a very steep road (which at that point I realized he wasn't kidding). It was a dirt road that was made for oil trucks, so it was in good shape, but steep and scary none-the-less.
Cameron kept telling me that he would tell me when the "scary" part came so I could close my eyes....
we were driving along on what I felt was a scary road, when out of the blue he says..."Close your eyes, right now"....not wanting to see what lied ahead, I closed my eyes just as we started to slide and slip. Being in 4wheel drive, and STILL sliding all over was not a reassuring feeling. He tried to make it up the mountain,
but because it was STILL COVERED in snow and MUD we had to back back down the steep, slippery mess and get another run at it!! I WAS SHAKING terribly and as we finally reached a flatter area, Cam told me that I could open my eyes. Assuming the worst was over I belted out a sigh of relief and tried to
control my emotions (YES..I really WAS THAT scared)...just about the time I was
starting to calm down a bit, Cam said that I better close my eyes again...UHG here we go again!
This time he "gunned" it and I could tell there was NO making it up the hill, he backed down AGAIN and tried to get a better run at it, AGAIN, we had to back back down...BY NOW I had literally HAD ENOUGH, I was shaking so bad that even my voice was affected. I told Cam I was bailing out of the truck and would walk to the cabin regardless of how far it was...BUT I WOULD NOT take another run at that steep, slippery road!...so I opened the door and got out before he just drove up anyway. He proceeded to tell me that the cabin was still a long ways away, I assured him I was in for any distance of a walk before I
was mentally or emotionally drive up that awful road. SOOOOoo.....off we hiked.
Neither of us was dressed for a hike, let alone a HIKE in the snow and MUD...but we did it.
(PS...this was the better part of the snowy road...the part that was in the sun...the part of the road
that was in the shade still had FEET of snow. Some of which was almost to my knees)
We hiked for probably 2 miles...but we had a good time. It was nice to have heart to heart
conversation, something that wouldn't have happened had we DROVE to the cabin...so you could say,
our UPHILL, in the SNOW, BOTH WAYS, hike was well worth it!
Finally we reached the cabin, and it was a beautiful view...probably much better in the summer, but still a view that made you feel as though you could see the entire world from where we stood.
The cabin was nice...we plopped down inside for long deserved rest!
NO cell service, no disturbances...just peaceful and quiet. So we relaxed!
After catching our breath, we decided we better start our 2 mile trek back to the truck before the sun went
down....It was chillier (than it was on the way up) and a little breezy but we laughed and had a great time... even as we slipped and slid in the slush both up and down the hills...making bets as to who would land on their "backside" first...I'm happy to report, we both stayed upright the entire way (only barely, but we did)!
It was a fun day (all except my terror on the slick roads) and
I'm glad Cam invited me to go with him...next time we'll go on a
BETTER road, one with NO MUD, NO SNOW and someplace we
won't have to use 4 wheel drive to get there (or try to get there).
I love time with my kids!





0 comments:
Post a Comment