Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving...a time to be thankful!


Its not very often that we can get my entire family together, but Thanksgiving day was an exception. Dayna and Jack were able to come out for the day and Erik had the day off, so everyone was in attendance. It was our year to have dinner with Deron's family, which is always fun. We played scum and visited, just spent the day relaxing....well AFTER ALL the cooking was done we relaxed! We had enough food to feed many families, but I think that's how Thanksgiving dinners are supposed to be, and then you eat the leftovers for the next week. Being Thanksgiving, it reminds me to reflect on things that I am grateful for:

1. My children- I have been blessed with 6 children and 2 special in-law children. I love them all. They all get along and are very close, that in and of itself is something to be thankful for. I am grateful for my relationship with each one of them. As a mother, I feel its a blessing to be close to each of them and be able to spend time with them and love every minute of it. They are wonderful children, I couldn't ask for better. 

2. My husband- He is a wonderful man. He is strong in the gospel and helps keep the spirit in our home. He is a good provider and makes it possible for me to be a stay at home mom.

3. Our families health- I hear all the time of people that have such bad illnesses that they are dealing with. I am so thankful that our family has been blessed with healthy bodies, its a blessing to me.

4. My house- In a time when many people are losing their homes, I am grateful that I still have mine and that we live where we do.

5. My parents/in-laws- I have a 3 sets of parents, my dad and step mom, my mom and step dad and my in-laws...and honestly I couldn't ask for better of any of them. I love each of my (yes that includes all 3 sets) parents equally and feel so blessed that they play such an important role in my life. I couldn't have picked better ones if I had picked them out myself. My parents are such wonderful people who have helped me through so much in my life. 
And throughout the years our relationship has continued to strengthen and we are very close. My stepparents have always treated me like one of their own children and I am very close to them as well. My in-laws are the best in-laws that anyone could ask for, I feel as though I am their own daughter, they too have always been there for me. I can't imagine life without any on of my dear parents. They all hold special places in my heart.

6. My brothers/sisters (includes sister-in-laws because they are my sisters!) and their families- Sometimes I feel as though our family has something unique as far as our relationships go. We are all very close and we all cherish the times that we spend together. We don't fight or squabble because we all feel as though life is too short to have contention between us. We like to go places together, get together and eat, travel together, play together...just hang out together. I have the best family...I really do!! And I love them all. 

7. Friends and extended family- throughout my life (which is quite a long time now) I have met many people that I consider my friends. I like to have friends in my life and I am thankful that I have so many. There are a couple of friends of mine that no matter where we live or how many days, months or years it has been since we have seen each other we are still just as close as we have always been. It doesn't matter if they just live just across town and up the hill or clear out in American Fork...their friendships are cherished and very special to me.  I am also thankful for my Aunts, I only have 4. They all live in various places and I don't get to see them as often as I would like to, but I know they are the best of the best. I feel blessed to have them in my life. 

8. Driving around in different states I have found that where I live is a pretty nice place. No its not the biggest or the most beautiful, but its home and I am grateful to live where I do. We have awesome neighbors, good school teachers and a wonderful ward to be a part of. Not all people are as blessed as I am that way, and I am thankful for such a great place to call home.

9. Have you ever noticed the stars at night. Weird thing to be thankful for? Well, I have been to parts of the country that when you look up into the sky all you see is more city lights. Sometimes I think I take for granted the wonderful views that I have surrounding me, when I don't see the stars in the sky, I miss them. In the summer I love to sit out in the swing and watch the stars...makes the mind wonder about life and what's next. 

10. Spring and Summer...I am grateful for the beautiful world that I am blessed to live in. I love the sights, sounds and smells of the warm months. I could live where it's like that 24/7...but since I don't...I am grateful for the few months that I get to enjoy it here. I feel bad for people that don't get to live in such areas...places that are brown or white, all of the time and I realize that its a blessing to have the opportunity to experience the colors and beauty that I get to. 

Those are some of the things that I am thankful for this Thanksgiving time. I know that I am blessed and have much to be thankful for.  

3 comments:

Christie said...

Very nice Julie, I love your upbeat attitude and you have a great family!

Anonymous said...

gosh i'm the shortest one!

Unknown said...

WOW… That is one of THE BEST Thankful lists that I have ever seen!! So many of them I too am grateful for as well, I need to put it down in words!! You inspire me, Thank You!!