Saturday, April 11, 2009

Here comes Peter Cotton Tail...hopping down the bunny trail...


When I was little (a long time ago) dying Easter Eggs was something that I always looked forward to. Maybe it was the fun of doing something different, maybe it was because it was a family tradition, but whatever the reason...I LOVED IT! And needless to say, I still do. My kids starting dying eggs right out of the womb (just kidding)...but as soon as they could, I had them sitting on the table and plopping the eggs into the cups of dye. They would wear an apron made out of a garbage sack and loved making the mess. We have now graduated past the garbage sack apron...but the mess?...yes we still make one of those. Yesterday was the big day, we boiled the eggs and got out the dye! We did the traditional PAAS Easter egg dye with the blue, pink, green, yellow and orange colors, but I also bought a new kit called "BRIGHT AND SHINY" which uses a glue and foil technique that you rub onto the eggs after they are colored. It was pretty cool! Although, for those of you out there with little kids, I don't recommend it. Its made more for 8 years old and up, otherwise you will be doing all the work (and its messy work). It also doesn't say that you only have enough glue to do 1 dozen eggs (if you're lucky). We had to cut the tube of glue open to do the last 2 eggs. It was really fun and the foil eggs that we did turned out awesome. But would I do it again? YES Possibly... but I think next year we just might try another "NEW KIT" and see what else we can do to our traditional Easter Egg dying.  

4 comments:

Becca said...

I totally forgot to dye eggs this year! Don't remind my kids! Agh! Oh well. We would have to boil our fresh chicken eggs anyway and I can never peel fresh boiled chicken eggs!

Sommer Time Farm said...

The foiling looks so cool-I think we'll try it next year!

Jack and Daynalee said...

How fun! I'm dying easter eggs all by myself today. And only because we HAVE to eat deviled eggs on easter. They probably won't even get eaten. Dang traditions!

Anonymous said...

FUN!!! todd and I didn't dye any eggs this year :( it's sad... i have always dyed eggs for easter.