Sunday, August 9, 2009

An Artist in our mist!


The County Fair always brings back fun memories, some from my childhood but most from when my children were little. It use to be such fun, and a BIG DEAL that we looked forward to all summer. We use to take the kids to look at all of the animals, to the Derby, the Rodeo, the parade, and for a walk around the fair building to look at all of the Arts and Crafts Exhibits. The kids loved it. It was usually a very busy, fun week. As the kids have gotten older we haven't really participated in any of the fair events. The price to get into the events has gone up significantly over the years and it all adds up with a family of our size. When we were spending $80 to get into one event, plus the food (it always smells so good inside of the rodeo grounds and it all entices you to come and eat some of it as well)...it just got a little too much for us to afford. If I had the amount of money that we were spending at the fair just laying around to blow, I guess I would choose to take a "mini-vacation" instead, to someplace other than my back yard. So the fair has actually become a week that I dread instead of look forward to anymore. Being so close to the fair grounds (no its not right out my front door like some people, but its still close) we can hear everything that is said from the announcers stand, the music, see the fireworks and smell the exhaust from the Derby Cars and Motor Cross...its just like being right there in it anyway. Although we don't participate much in the other events, we've always still tried to go and look at the Arts and Craft exhibits, we've missed a few years, but we enjoy it when we are able to attend. This year Halle wanted to enter some of her drawings into the Arts and Crafts exhibit. She had worked hard on them and was excited to have them judged and win premium money for her ribbons. After waiting a day for the judges to look over all the entries we ran down for a peek at what they awarded her with. She got blue ribbons on all of them! She was thrilled. Its fun to see her face light up when she feels successful and a sense of accomplishment. Although she didn't get any premium money (I guess they don't do that anymore?), she was happy that she entered her drawings and is going to start working hard for next year. She is a wonderful artist and has alot of potential. There were alot of wonderful entries this year and it was fun to be able to take a quick peek at them all. We were in a hurry and didn't get to look at all of them, but I was really impressed with the talented people in our area that share what they are able to do, with those of us that aren't so talented. NOW that the fair is over we are well into the fast moving count down until school starts.....I might be a little strange, but I am not looking forward to sending my kids back yet! Where does all of the time go, summer just goes by way too fast!

3 comments:

Becca said...

Yeah, it is just 4-h entries that get premium money. I entered a photo in the arts and crafts and got first place and got nothing for it too, that is why I focus the kids into doing 4-H stuff...so we can afford more at the fair.

Jack and Daynalee said...

Yay Halle! She did SO good. I'm so proud of her.

Melanie said...

Hey--you should have brought those drawings to the 4-H side--then she would have received premium, and maybe even possibly gone to state (and received more premium). Next year, huh? :)