Saturday, September 5, 2009

Autumn chores~

I love raspberries. They are my most favorite berry in the world...(at least as far as I know, I haven't tasted all that many). I could eats pounds and pounds of them, literally...BUT I don't. Several years back I got some raspberry bush starts from my mom and step-dad's house over in Vernal. She had 2 different kinds of berries. An early raspberry that comes on earlier in the summer and then a late berry that starts to come on anywhere from the middle of August to the end of August. The later berry is a bigger berry and has tons of berries on the bushes....(makes for easier picking). I figured that by getting the later berry producing bushes I would be more "ready" for them when they came on. NOT QUITE so....Two years ago we picked and froze over 10- 1 gallon bags. I don't know if this year is going to be quite as profitable but I think that if we stay with the picking and if the weather holds out, we might come close. We've already made 2 batches of freezer jam and I plan on making many more...its just too bad that all the fruit and veggies seem to come on all at once and make the canning/freezing season seem WAY overwhelming. I went out yesterday and picked for an hour and came back in with an entire gallon of berries...and that WASN'T counting what was in my belly! Next time I will try and restrain myself from eating so many, then maybe I can get alot more into my bucket.
AND that my friend...is a peek into one day, in the life of being me...much work, many berries!

3 comments:

Blasé said...

Raspberries and 6 Kids'!?!

Goodness Gracious!

Megan said...

I can eat raspberries till I make myself sick... and then I still keep eating. They are delicious and the ones at the grocery store just don't quite measure up!

24/7 Dance Company said...

YUMMY!!!! our bushes are getting a few raspberries on them and they are delicious!!!