Thursday, June 23, 2011

It's about TiMe~

I love clocks!! If you were to come into my house you would find AT LEAST one clock in every room...yes, that includes the bathrooms. I like to know what time it is where ever I am and in any room that I might happen to be in. I have tall clocks, short ones, small ones, large ones, old ones, new ones, black clocks, yellow clocks, brown clocks, white clocks....I even have 3 or 4 different watches. I am not a fan of the "digital clock" although, it has it has its purpose in my life too (along side my bed with a dandy little alarm clock on it). I don't know why- and I have never really understood my obsession with them, but I've always LOVED, LOVED, LOVED face clocks.

Several years back I got an oak looking "Grandfather" clock for Christmas...no, he wasn't an AUTHENTIC grandfather clock, but I didn't care...I loved my imitation and he was exactly what I wanted. At the "time" I even loved the wood look of the clock....because my house was full of it and it was what I was sporting at the time. As the years passed, the "wood look" on my grandfather clock got tiresome and terribly boring. I had updated my living room, (several times...you know me~) where the old clock resided and he just didn't "fit" with the look I was going for anymore. So down the hall he went...to reside all by himself. Although he wasn't in my living room anymore, I never tired of my old grandfather clock. I knew someday he would make his way back into my living room. Over the years, I have tossed around the idea of painting him but talked myself out of it EVERY single TIME...you know the thoughts that run through your mind, "I don't have time to do that" "what if it doesn't look good when I'm finished?" "what if I hate it?" "what if I go to all that bother and I ruin it?"...those are the thoughts that muddled my mind UNTIL one morning, last week, I just jumped up and painted him without even thinking! I pulled out the black paint and quickly put the firsts of many coats on his old oak frame, before I could talk myself out of it...

I can't believe the difference a few coats of paint and some poly-urethane can make...
oh, and a little sanding of the edges to make him look old and "antiquish"-
MY FAVORITE look!!!!


I love him even more than I did before....and YES, he made it right back into my living room... no questions asked! I put some new batteries in him, shined him up and he looks as good as new!!! WOO HOO for a little time and energy and some good ol' fashioned "elbow grease"! I love projects, especially when I can get them accomplished in a day's time and even more so, when they turn out as beautiful as this old man did!!!
NOW ONTO THE NEXT PROJECT~


1 comments:

Sommer Time Farm said...

I love it!! You are so talented:)