A couple of months ago (YES, I'm THAT far behind in my blog) I was out in the garden
when all of a sudden, bee's came at me from out of nowhere...hundreds of them.
They flew at my face, in my hair, everywhere. I swatted them as I was trying to run
out of the garden but it was hard to see because there were so many dive bombing at my face.
I knew I had been stung several times but didn't know the extent of my "injuries."
I went into the house to assess the damage done by these vicious little creatures. I
have only been stung ONCE up until now...and that was about 40 years ago, and it was
by a honey bee. I knew these weren't honey bee's, for one, there were too many....for another
they hurt like crazy and honey bee stings aren't that violent feeling.
as I counted the stings...I came up with 6 awful sore and painful stings AND YES
there were tears running down my face as the pain REALLY WAS THAT BAD!
They burned, they hurt, and they throbbed.
I couldn't find any stingers left behind, the bee's were very careful as to not leave
any evidence of what they had done. The first night was very difficult to sleep. I was hurting something
awful. I was short of breath and worried that I might not wake up, literally. The next morning I woke up
to my arm and hand swollen and ITCHING like I had never itched before!! I actually
used a callus file to scratch my itchy body.
The next day I went outside to see where all the bee's had come from. As I sat and
watched the garden I could see bee's flying everywhere, but especially around the lilac bushes.
After some staring and intent watching I could finally see a GIANT wasp nest tucked ever so carefully
up into the lilac branches RIGHT WHERE I HAD BEEN...
I did some calling around to find out how we could get rid of such a monster of a nest, only
to find out that there aren't very many people that are willing to take
the risk to get rid of them....After reading on the internet plan B was put into place...SNEAK out after dark and drench the entire thing with wasp killer and HOPE they die!!!
After dark the wasps become docile, therefore they won't come out of the hive until daylight....
so killing them in the dark is "the safest:".
Deron and Todd went out after dark with a can of "electrical foam"...to spray into the entrance to the
nest and 2 large cans of wasp killer. After spraying the hive until both cans were empty and filling the hole
to ensure they wouldn't come out...the hive started to bounce from all the buzzing and movement from
the wasps as they tried to escape...I have to say, I didn't feel one bit of remorse for killing them!!
Several days after the kill I went and removed the branch and the VERY LARGE hive. It was bigger than
my head and full of "Bald Faced Wasps" (a large black wasp with a white face).
I broke it open so I could see inside...Looks like they had quite a kingdom they were building! I'm grateful for my knights in shining armor that saved the day and destroyed these beasts!! I have to say....I am a little more TERRIFIED of bee's now and I am a little more vigilant in making sure I don't land myself in the middle of their territory!





0 comments:
Post a Comment