Just for the record, I don't claim to be, nor will I ever claim to be a "Domestic Diva". I don't love the "canning and preserving" end of homemaking. I never have! When I was a teenager my mom and my sister did most of the canning, while I in turn cleaned up the house. I felt like I was getting the better end of the deal. BUT...I took a trip to the city this week and ran into a killer deal on a flat of strawberries, SO what did I do???.... I decided to step WAY OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE...and bought some to make some freezer jam?! DUMB! By the time I got home I knew that I had completely lost my mind! I not only didn't have a recipe, but now I didn't even want to do it. I don't know what came over me in the middle of the produce section of Walmart...maybe it was all the estrogen coming from the women surrounding the strawberries and talking of making "jars and jars of jam" that got to me. Maybe it was my conscience making me feel guilty because I have only made jam ONCE in 22 years of marriage and didn't plan on ever doing it again. Regardless of what it was that possessed me to buy the
Saturday, April 25, 2009
NOT a DoMestic Diva wanna be!
strawberries, I was now stu
ck with "2", yes 2, flats of strawberries and needed to do something with them today. I thought about making strawberry pie, strawberry shortcake and even just blending them up and freezing them and using them to make smoothies, but I finally broke down and decided to make JAM! And NOW that it
s done, I am glad that I did it...but I will never lie and say that "I loved it and want to do more" (because that really would be a lie). Having it in the freezer will be nice and I will allow everyone to go and look at it every now and then, but I will only allow it to be used on special occasions. After all...isn't that what your supposed to do??!!....Just admire it and show it off, but not use it up because then you have to make more....(SEE that's why I don't do it...its a never ending job!)

at
7:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




8 comments:
I loove strawberry freezer jam, its so yum, Im not much of a canner either but enjoy eating it, lol
I love to make jam! Peach jam is my favorite to make. My Great Grandma has an AMAZING recipe for Strawberry/Banana jam. If she gives me the recipe, I will have to give you a sample :) Congrats on getting out of your comfort zone!!
Oooh, yum! Freezer jam rocks!
I have made freezer jam twice since I have been married-strawberry and apricot. But I am with you on the canning and making jam-when I was a kid my mom canned everything and because I was the only girl I got to help. I think my mom burned me out j/k lol
Julie - You are so funny! I don't like to can either. I make my mom cmoe help me do it. I love starwberry jam. You should enjoy the jam before it goes bad. I still have a freezer fun of blackberry jam because I won't let anyone use it and now I'm sure it will go bad before it gets used.
I almost bought strawberries to do the same thing...but I didn't. And in many ways I'm relieved. :)
Next time you get lots of strawberries and start second guessing your ambition to make jam--just slice those berries and put them in a freezer bag. Then you can have berries on hand for anything--smoothies, a nice snack, waffle toppings, and even thaw them to make jam later. Haha...
This looks SO yummy! I am so proud of you! Everyone raved about it and said they were eating it with everything. You'll be so happy to have it when you don't have to buy jam anymore!
YUM!!! i HATE canning!!! well pretty much i think i hate almost everything about a kitchen except the food! lol. i hate doing dishes, and i hate cooking/baking (unless it's something sugary lol).
Post a Comment