Wednesday, June 10, 2009

We love our MeXiCaN...



Dinner time rolls around and I always have a hard time thinking about what to fix. As you know I have been trying new recipes for awhile now and have found some really good ones. I have also found one's that WEREN'T so good....I don't blog about those. Tonight I made a recipe that I have been wanting to try for awhile now. I was a little worried that it might be too spicy for those in my family that aren't CRAZY about a "little ZiP"...but it turned out wonderfully. EVERYONE loved it and we ate most of a 9x13 pan, ALL GONE....there won't be much for leftovers and I am afraid that it will be a fight to see who gets to eat them tomorrow for lunch.


Chili Cheese-n-Steak Enchiladas

2 1/2 c. of green enchilada sauce, any brand. (I used Hatch's)
1 c. chicken broth
2 c. heavy cream
1 1/2 c. shredded cheese, any kind ( I used cheddar and mozzarella, I would have loved to try pepper jack, but I didn't have any)
2-3 T. flour

Combine enchilada sauce, broth and cream in a sauce pan. Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly-add cheese and flour. Continue to stir until thickened; adjust sauce consistency with flour if necessary (add more of less depending on how thick you want it). Cover and set aside.

2 T. oil
1 1/2 lbs steak, sliced as thin as possible and then cut into small pieces
1/2 t. seasoning salt
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. onion powder
1/4 t. ground pepper
1/2 t. ground cumin
12-18 (6 inch) corn tortillas
2 c. shredded cheese, again whatever kind you choose
1/2 c. toasted pine nuts (bought them in a bag over by the baking stuff and walnuts) These are optional, but I think they really add alot to the recipe, so I wouldn't skip them if possible.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large frying pan heat oil, add steak and saute until done. Then add the pine nuts and all the seasoning, remove from heat. Pour half of the pre-made sauce into the bottom of a glass 9x13 baking dish. In small frying pan with a little bit of oil, fry corn tortilla, one at a time, until soft and lightly browned. Put a small amount of meat mixture into tortillas and sprinkle with cheese, then roll up and put into pan with the sauce in it. Continue until all of your meat is gone. Pour remaining sauce over tortillas and top with additional cheese. Sprinkle with more pine nuts if you want to. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes (I did mine for 20)

Top with corn and black beans, lettuce, tomato's, avocado's or any other "taco toppings" that you want. Some of my family added alot to theirs, some didn't add much.

It does take some prep time and isn't something that you can make in a big hurry, but all the work is SOOO worth it! Let me know what you think.
Happy Cooking!


2 comments:

Sommer Time Farm said...

oooh yummy!! I'm gonna have to try this!

Jack and Daynalee said...

That looks delicious. I'll have to try it.