Sunday, October 18, 2009

"Diva Apparel"~















Years ago when I was about 12 my mother told me that I was going to LEARN to sew whether I wanted to or not. Under much protest and even alot of tears, I learned to sew. I made shirts, dresses and even tempted (might I repeat, TEMPTED) a pair of pants all before I graduated from high school. After I got married and had children, the art of sewing took on a whole new light as that's how my children were clothed for a good part of their "small lives". I made their summer shorts, shirts, church clothes and Halloween costumes. I made all of my maternity clothes (while we were attending college..you know, the POOR college students), baby blankets....you get the picture. As my children have grown up, they have outgrown wanting me to make their clothes. I still sew a large part of my skirts and dresses, and the girls skirts and dresses...but that is where it ends. Time doesn't allow me to sew as much as I would like to anymore, and the price of patterns and fabric has turned the art of sewing into a "rich mans hobby" instead of it being something cheap and fun that you could do for 1/2 the cost of purchasing clothing off the rack. I have been trying to think of ways that I could use my sewing skills and make money at the same time...I and Dayna had been talking about it and she said that we should make things and put them in the local craft fair (The Holly Fair for all of you locals). After much thought, debate, and encouragement from my sweet daughter and friends, I relented and decided that I would dip my toe into the "crafting world" and see how it went. So Dayna is making Home Decor Blocks, Dana is making some Tutu's, Halle is making Hair Flowers and I am making Aprons. I made up an apron pattern that I just loved (actually 2, and adult and a child)...and then got to sewing (like a maniac). We've all had to buckle down and work hard and fast because we haven't got alot of time left before the fair. I've made 55 Diva (women's) aprons and 31 Little Darling aprons (little girls), up to this point. But I still have some more to do before I'm finished. I've had a ton of fun making them, although they take alot of time and I have had to put off doing other things that need to be done, like the cleaning and the laundry etc... (because right now we are cramming for the Holly Fair...3 weeks away)...I am hoping that it pays off in the end. They will make cute, fun gifts for any woman/teen or little girl. I tried to find colors and fabrics that suit many tastes.... but so many of them are just fun and happy colors. A fun way to brighten up anyone's day. I've had fun matching colors and making them to match personalities. I didn't realize how much time it was really going to take. There are days that I have sewn for 10 hours and then into the night. I often dream about sewing apron after apron, matching colors, choosing the wrong colors etc...I know its just because its been my LIFE for so many weeks and that's all I've been able to think about. Life is full of different paths and exciting fun things...maybe this will be something that will turn into "A new PATH" for my life to take...who knows. I am selling the Diva aprons for $25.00 and the Little Darling aprons for $15.00. Here are a few pictures and "just a taste" of what I've been doing for the past month....come and see us at the Holly Fair on November 13th and 14th (Friday and Saturday) at the UBET building.

7 comments:

Jack and Daynalee said...

Oh my gosh those are so cute! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pics you did outside. I think they show off your aprons so well. Kim was a good test subject. Nice work. You're going to do fantastic.

Melanie said...

Very, very cute! And Kim is an excellent model! :)

Karen said...

Super cute. I would love to order one up for my youngest. Let me know how to send you payment. She 3and loves pink and oh the photos I could do. Can't wait. Also check out ETSY.com. Lots of good ideas and you may be able to sell there. Thanks. Karen

Sommer Time Farm said...

So So Cute! Good job! You are so talented!

24/7 Dance Company said...

so cute!!! i hope my tutus will turn out cute enough!!

Elder Laing's Address: said...

How come I'm not as talented as you, we are sisters for heavens sake! They are adorable, and I know you guys will do great, and have fun. Good Luck, wish I was going to be around to come see it.
Love ya@

DeLoy and Heidi Brady said...

Those are so cute! You are so talented- I keep on learning about new things you can do, and it doesn't surprise me at all. You are amazing!!