After being diagnosed with TIA's and a Protein S deficiency(several years ago), I was put on anticoagulant's and was told that I had to wear a medical bracelet. I don't like to bring attention to myself in any way, shape or form....SO I searched high and low for something "fashionable" that I could wear...something that looked stylish yet wouldn't stand out to the world (I know...medical bracelets are SUPPOSED to stand out BUT......I'm a woman, I want pretty not necessarily practical ~) I found a place online that sold "just the metal plate",engraved with my medical condition...it was just plain and simple...yet functional. It seemed PERFECT....woo hoo! So I bought it!
I was thrilled because having "just the plate" meant that I could make a "stylish" bracelet to hook onto it and no one would even notice that I was wearing it! I made a brown beaded bracelet, a black beaded one and a cream one. BUT I eventually found 2 problems with my homemade beaded bracelets:
1. IT IS (the bracelet) SUPPOSED to be noticeable in case of emergency 2. The bracelets looked extremely tacky! After wearing my "tacky" bracelet for months I broke down and just hooked an ugly chain to it and wore it faithfully on my wrist. It wasn't long before the metal plate was scratched and the engraved words were worn off, making the bracelet useless in the case of an emergency situation....not too long after that, the chain broke and I no longer had any way of letting emergency personnel know of my condition if I was in some sort of an accident and wasn't able to speak...which left me feeling a bit weary and nervous. Needless to say, I had to get another one~ so the search was on for a new, BETTER bracelet, something that would last for a long time.
During my original search for medical bracelets, I looked online on the "MedicAlert" site (afterall, they are the Professional when it comes to things like this). I wanted something a little more "fancy" and "unnoticeable" than what they had to offer and I didn't want to pay what they were asking for a bracelet...so I went somewhere else to purchase one...WELL, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR (I seem to have to learn the hard way sometimes) that's for sure. THIS time we did it the right way...we went to medicalert.org and bought something that would last. Yes, my medical bracelet is big, its bulky and its noticeable...but its exactly what I need.
The engraving on the metal plate is deep and the top is covered with a thick plastic coating. It's made to last...where as the other one evidently wasn't.
No one likes to wear a medical bracelet...especially me. They get in the way, they are a nuisance and they bring attention to my arm...all of which I DON'T like! BUT...if I was ever in an accident (since I've been known to be in "JUST A FEW" of those) and was unconscious or unable to speak, I would be very thankful that I had it.
SOOOOO...the moral of my post is:
If you have to wear a medical bracelet...get one from the professionals. Don't waste your time "lolly gagging" around the internet or searching at the Mall...take my advice and go to medicalert.org and purchase one. It's worth the few extra dollars to have one that will serve its purpose and LAST (plus the people there are so nice and helpful...they are awesome)!
PS~ just for the record, I am not affiliated with, nor do I work for MedicAlert...I'm just a "satisfied" customer, passing on a bit of helpful information to anyone who might be interested.





1 comments:
I am thankful for this! Being a paramedic I'm greatful for people that wear things they are supposed to! It makes my life so much easier! And trust me, I bet nobody even notices it! We always notice things like this about ourselves more than others do!
Xoxo,
Corrine
Post a Comment